Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Display - Best Practices

Hey PSP Forumers

What are some of your best practices when it comes to running Display campaigns?

- Eliminating certain apps
    - Campaign / AdGroup structuring
    - Tools to help with identifying opportunities (AdLeg Video Hoarder seems legit)

Would love to hear what is bring you success with this format, as it can be an effective (cheap) way to drive people back to the website.

Rob

I am not a pro here but I did consider removing weird website placements and apps a must-do step in Display campaigns. However, I recently eliminated app placements completely on a display campaign. The client called about 2 weeks later and said they suddenly had a drop in leads. I turned the app placements back on and the client had more leads.

This is weird because many of the app placements were completely irrelevant. I know you'd say I was "targeting the person" rather than the content. Which I get. What I don't get is: why are some of the highest converting placements foreign language, spammy websites and kids game apps? I don't get it. I can't imagine it's common for a parent to be watching their kid play an iPhone game, take the phone from the kid, then click my ad and fill out a lead form on my client's website.

Same thing with foreign language websites. These are obscure foreign languages, not Spanish. They convert a lot. I don't get it... and so I don't have a display checklist anymore...

Comment

• Austin
      Austin commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you've got to go through all the placements and tick each one. You can do it quickly though by using the keyboard instead of the mouse. Tick the first app placement box with your mouse. Then press the down arrow on your keyboard, then space, down arrow, space, down arrow... all down the list.

• sarahbee
      sarahbee commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you how the client is defining leads and are they qualified?

• Austin
      Austin commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi sarahbee, yes it's a contact form or a phone call. That makes it so strange IMO that they get conversions from these weird placements.

My mindset with display is to find placements that are no-brainers.

You sell guides to a certain video game? Okay target a website or article about that video game.

Direct hit placements are the only times I've seen pure display campaigns bring in leads at a decent volume. I don't run a ton of display though, but placements have always been my focus.

Sometimes I use keyword ad groups to find placement ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      My mindset with display is to find placements that are no-brainers.

You sell guides to a certain video game? Okay target a website or article about that video game.

Direct hit placements are the only times I've seen pure display campaigns bring in leads at a decent volume. I don't run a ton of display though, but placements have always been my focus.

Sometimes I use keyword ad groups to find placement ideas.
      Thanks, mate.

Am I "overdoing" it by running 3 AdGroups?

- Placement (using Kyle Sulerud video tool)
      - Keywords
      - Audience (website retargeting)

Comment

Been loving Display since Jason/Chris did the podcast series. Always just used it for remarketing in the past. Tagging off of Jason, one of my favorite Display strategies is using YouTube video URL placements to show up whenever someone is watching videos relevant to your offer. For example, with some outdoor guides I work with - I'll snag every single relevant YouTube video about things to do in X city or outdoor videos relevant to what the client offers.

I was going to post this question myself - but recently I've been breaking out my cold display campaigns into single ad group campaigns. Kills me to do it... but I've found that with a keyword contextual or custom intent type ad group in the same campaign as those youtube placement style ad groups, the placements never get their fair share of budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I've found that with a keyword contextual or custom intent type ad group in the same campaign as those youtube placement style ad groups, the placements never get their fair share of budget.
          I have the same problem. I hadn't thought of using a separate campaign. That's a great tip

Comment

HeyJason, I've heard you talk about targeting specific articles news websites in Display. Do you know why sometimes Google allows me to target a specific article and other times not? For example the red circled URL below cannot be targeted. The green circled URL is from the same domain and I am allowed to target it.

I'm 90% sure it's because the red circled article is behind a paywall. However, I can see other ads on GDN on that article, even though I cannot see past the paywall, which is why I ask. - Thanks!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.55.12 AM.png Views:	1 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	662
            Attached Files

Comment

Continuing with best practices for Google Display, what is involved in setting it up Google Analytics to monitor its performance?

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X