Automated Bliss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automated Bliss

Have you ever run a campaign with full automation?

Are target CPA bids working out great for you?

I'd love to hear about campaigns that you've made as automated as possible that get great results.

What automations do you have going?

What kind of campaign is it?

How much time do you have to put into the campaign each month?

How great are the results?

How common is this automated bliss you've achieved?

Inquiry from a tired, old manual bidder posting this at the end of his long day.

Click image for larger versionName:	giphy.gifViews:	1Size:	1.20 MBID:	158

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 8.49.04 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	1614 city comparison experiment Sept 1- Today (9/17) All campaigns limited by budget. A conversion is landing on the city's page then clicking a button or image that says "Apply Now"
    Just took this account over last month still trying to figure it out. - 20 other cities in this account
    Last edited by warren; 09-17-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

For me it does not work , not even a bit
      i stuck to manual bidding!!!

Comment

Originally posted by warren View Post
        Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 8.49.04 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	110.6 KB ID:	1614 city comparison experiment Sept 1- Today (9/17) All campaigns limited by budget. A conversion is landing on the city's page then clicking a button or image that says "Apply Now"
        Just took this account over last month still trying to figure it out. - 20 other cities in this account
        Those stats look nice! Healthy conversion rates.

Comment

Jason my confusion on this account is Google suggests a $10+ bid for first page for the primary search term in this account. For my manual accounts, the avg. cpc is always higher than the CPA campaigns. I'm running a 50/50 experiment in one city to set the max CPC at $6 and see if that brings down the average cpc. I've tested some differnet keywords , but the client likes +personal +loans even though they're doing low end loans so it makes it difficult to drill down terms that might the cheaper. Sorry to rant

Comment

I've been using automation for a clinic and the conversion rates are excellent. But I started with manual bidding, then, after a Google Marketing Account suggested me, I switched to Max Conversions and after that to Target CPA. The leads volume is quite high, so the system has enough data to learn and do a good job. I am using Target CPA now for all types of campaigns except Shopping Ads. There is one specific type of campaign which did not work at all: smart display campaigns. I tried it also at the suggestion of the Google rep, but i only found out after one week of practically zero results that my daily budget needed to be almost 20 times higher than my lead aquisition cost, and I did not have the budget.

At the agency time is a big issue for me, as I also manage Facebook ads. I can say that I don't put more than 2-3 hours a month for automated campaigns now. But this might also have another cause: the country and lower cpc rates compared to US or western countries, which might make budgeting a little bit less worrisome. (By the way, a new episode about Google Ads challenges for other languages and countries might be interesting).

About the results, they are very good, but there's room for improvement. The conversion rates are somewhere between 18-23%, which the client is totally happy with, as we works near full capacity.

This automated bliss makes about 35% of my accounts. The rest are based more on periodic campaigns or promotions and would not have the required time for the system to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by warren View Post
              Jason my confusion on this account is Google suggests a $10+ bid for first page for the primary search term in this account. For my manual accounts, the avg. cpc is always higher than the CPA campaigns. I'm running a 50/50 experiment in one city to set the max CPC at $6 and see if that brings down the average cpc. I've tested some differnet keywords , but the client likes +personal +loans even though they're doing low end loans so it makes it difficult to drill down terms that might the cheaper. Sorry to rant
              Its impressive target CPA cost per click and CPA are less than half as expensive as the manual campaigns. Is that trend keeping up? I'm testing out some target CPA a little bit myself right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx View Post
                (By the way, a new episode about Google Ads challenges for other languages and countries might be interesting).
                great idea, thanks. I'm adding that to the list

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx View Post
                  I've been using automation for a clinic and the conversion rates are excellent. But I started with manual bidding, then, after a Google Marketing Account suggested me, I switched to Max Conversions and after that to Target CPA. The leads volume is quite high, so the system has enough data to learn and do a good job. I am using Target CPA now for all types of campaigns except Shopping Ads. There is one specific type of campaign which did not work at all: smart display campaigns. I tried it also at the suggestion of the Google rep, but i only found out after one week of practically zero results that my daily budget needed to be almost 20 times higher than my lead aquisition cost, and I did not have the budget.

At the agency time is a big issue for me, as I also manage Facebook ads. I can say that I don't put more than 2-3 hours a month for automated campaigns now. But this might also have another cause: the country and lower cpc rates compared to US or western countries, which might make budgeting a little bit less worrisome. (By the way, a new episode about Google Ads challenges for other languages and countries might be interesting).

About the results, they are very good, but there's room for improvement. The conversion rates are somewhere between 18-23%, which the client is totally happy with, as we works near full capacity.

This automated bliss makes about 35% of my accounts. The rest are based more on periodic campaigns or promotions and would not have the required time for the system to learn.
                  Nice to see target CPA is getting near 20% conversion rates. I might be trying out more automated strategies soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post

Nice to see target CPA is getting near 20% conversion rates. I might be trying out more automated strategies soon.
                    I agree with Lexx, CPA seems to work well on high volume and well stablished campaigns. Smaller budget, local campaigns, or seasonal campaigns probably make sense to keep manual.

Edit - I also think having really accurate conversion data is key for CPA. If the tags aren't firing properly or something else then it gets a little crazy.
                    Last edited by warren; 09-23-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Had a couple target CPA and an impression share campaign going, gave up after four days. Back to manual.

Comment

Jason first of all, I was as excited about hearing you mention this discussion on the podcast as I imagine Chris would be if he walked into a bar and there wasn't anyone there.

Secondly, how do you use "Est. first page bid" and "Est. first position bid" when setting your manual bids? (probably a dumb question, but I'm curious about how you use/approach that info.)

Comment

With those setting Target CPA and receiving a high conversion rate, what does a conversion look like? Is it a form sign-up? Item purchased?

I only ask as I have various campaigns running, the majority being low volume, high ticket sign-ups and interested in how this strategy would pan out.

Comment

kolonel In the situation I posted above it's for a loan company with local locations. I track the first conversion as the user clicking"apply now" to go to the loan application page (not the best I know, but hear me out.) This is what I'm using for the CPA. I have a second conversion action set up on the loan application page that tracks when an application is completed and submitted. Since all of the local locations have their own landing page, and there's a singular application page, this was the easiest way I found for getting some conversion data. This doesn't include people calling an 800 number to apply through the phone. There's not much drop off between the apply now button clicks and the submitted applications. It seems most people if they commit to clicking the apply now button they get invested in completing the qualification form.

Comment

Originally posted by kolonel View Post
                              With those setting Target CPA and receiving a high conversion rate, what does a conversion look like? Is it a form sign-up? Item purchased?

I only ask as I have various campaigns running, the majority being low volume, high ticket sign-ups and interested in how this strategy would pan out.
                              I don't know if this was addresed to me
                              In my case, conversions are +1min phone calls (reservations), filled contact forms, clicks on email buttons. But I also have ecommerce conversions set (product purchases, add to cart and the rest of the cohort). But I also need to say something here. I am sure that my country's ppc landscape, competition and customer behaviour is very very different than the ones in US, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X