Announcement

Collapse

PSP Insider Episodes

This section of the forum is sponsored by our PSP Insider Training Episodes. We encourage you to check them out here.
See more
See less

Red flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red flags

When you're talking to prospect what are the red flags that immediately make you stop wanting to work with the client

Clients that keep mentioning budget over and over again. Have had it happen a few times.

I have pretty good introductory pricing and a guarantee. I try to explain ROI in depth

"Yeah - the ROI sounds great - but I'm not sure if that will work with my budget..."

I'm not going to repeatedly bang my head against a wall if the prospect doesn't understand that putting in $1 to get $4 back is a good thing.

Comment

To stop working with a client I'm already working with? Expecting results the first week. Adding in another manager to the account to check my work, sell themselves etc. Can't stand that. I'm out of there when that happens. And asking for changes over and over and never letting us get on the groove of a good strategy.

Comment

Similar to Jason's adding another account manager to check your work ....

I've had two clients over the past 8 years or so who have meddled with my setups - and I fired both immediately.

Crazy Veterinarian
        First one was a flat out crazy veterinarian. I knew something was off and I should have known better than taking her on. First day of ads was a Friday - got her a lucrative dog surgery right out of the gate on day one. Phone didn't ring on Saturday after two hours, so she called me at my son's hockey game. I told her to be patient. She wasn't. She changed a bunch of stuff in the campaign. Got home to check the account and saw she had massive changes. Called her - then fired her.

Clueless Attorney
        Other was an attorney who hired me b/c his campaigns weren't working. He's getting calls after one week - campaign is going well - gets curious and restarts his old campaign that didn't work and runs it against mine - obviously it has a lot of the same kw, but different ads, etc. I noticed, called and fired.

While my ad campaigns usually work there are situations (like how the recent PSP talked about real estate) where it doesn't. It happens. But you need to be able to demonstrate independently how viable your ad campaigns are without interference.

Comment

2 over 8 years, that's a great ratio. You must have a great bad client detector.

Inference, that's a good word. Can't have people changing up your campaigns, that never goes well and is unacceptable.

Comment

Taking on tons of crappy clients early on helps to calibrate that detector. Better to miss out on opportunities than have the life sucked out of you.

Yeah - I actually think Red Flags / Client vetting would make a great show topic.

Teaching people how to identify batsh*t crazy / problem clients would be valuable.

Comment

1. Clients who tell you (a) what you should achieve, but also (b) how they want you to do it.
              2. Start-ups; One-person businesses; Friends/relations
              3. Owners who are pinning the saving their sh*tty business on your advertising
              4. Anyone who suggests (or already displays) any action of questionable ethics/legality
              5. Clients who don't have time for a discussion

The more I think about it, the longer the lists gets!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                1. Clients who tell you (a) what you should achieve, but also (b) how they want you to do it.
                This has got to be the biggest. If you know what you want and how to get it, why are you hiring me? Completely contradictory logic and a sure sign of insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  2. Start-ups; One-person businesses; Friends/relations
                  3. Owners who are pinning the saving their sh*tty business on your advertising
                  4. Anyone who suggests (or already displays) any action of questionable ethics/legality
                  5. Clients who don't have time for a discussion

The more I think about it, the longer the lists gets!
                  This is a great list. However, I slightly disagree with the 5th, I like clients who don't have time to chat, they tend to stick around for a while and not ask a lot of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

This is a great list. However, I slightly disagree with the 5th, I like clients who don't have time to chat, they tend to stick around for a while and not ask a lot of questions.
                    Hi Chris. Just to clarify #5 - it's clients who don't have time to talk with me when I need to.

Comment

I also like clients that don't spend a lot of time chatting. If you're a successful business owner, you're not on the phone any longer than you need to be. So if the conversation is short, that's a great sign IMO.

I don't mind start-ups as long as they're not selling something that just obviously won't work. They often don't work but as long as they pay you upfront (you've got to get paid upfront from startups to protect yourself) then it's money in the bank and you've provided a service that they were going to buy anyways. The experience of trying and failing Google Ads on a startup is probably good information for the client anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X